Whenever I sit down to write, I make a soundtrack. I go in with a few songs I really love that seem to fit the mood of what I’m working on, and the rest builds itself over time as I write. For Demon Days, I built a playlist that was based around darker melodies with blues influence. Certain songs are general ambiance for the book and some actually have “scenes” attached in my head. Some of the descriptions may qualify as minor spoilers, so… you’ve been warned. You can find a partial list below :
- “An Honest Man” by Fantastic Negrito – Sam at Benefacio’s
- “Season of the Witch” by Donovan – Sam at P’s & Q’s
- “Where I’m Goin” by Sir Sly – Vika’s intro scene in the club.
- “Arsonist’s Lullabye” by Hozier – Sam’s return to the Church the next morning.
- “Born Under a Bad Sign” by Albert King – Sam at Luthor’s store.
- “If I Had a Heart” by Fever Ray – Sam at Dante’s nightclub
- “Seven Devils” by Florence & the Machine – Sam facing Malcolm in the warehouse.